The next digital age isn’t coming – it’s already here. And marketers must reinvent themselves and their approach in order to stay on top of the game.
Forrester analyst Julie Ask, shared that smartphone sales have now outpaced PCs. And future phones should no longer be viewed as some sort of hand-held computer, but as a personal lifestyle tool that will enrich our everyday experiences in ways we have yet to imagine. And for every obstacle reluctant marketers can come up with the screen is too small… people still love the feel of paper, etc.), the vision of designers and engineers is giving birth to technology that goes beyond what seems advanced today.
“Imagine if we can…” Finish the statement, and you capture the essence of how you should begin your planning as you navigate this new era. Dennis Shirokov at FedEx shared his success with this approach, and how it helped to redefine the way they serve and market to customers. But it starts with building a case based on what should be.
Watch the mental road blocks to digital melt away when you approach your planning with “Imagine if we can….” Find some time to explore. Doodle. Play with ideas. Record them to share. Blow out the stops.
Build a story for your brand around what “Imaging if we can…” could mean to the way you connect with (and market to) consumers. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Imagine if we can…reach customers at each different touch point throughout the customer lifecycle. (Chart the touch points and outline ways to engage in a positive way at each step.)
- Imagine if we can…use customer data from (our service techs, terminals, call centers, etc.) to provide the right message at the right time. (Look at technology that can support real-time data captured from various sources.)
- Imagine if we can…centralize all our customer data into a single platform or data-driven environment to reach customers as individuals for more targeted customer experiences.
- Imagine if we can… have management aligned with a team of dedicated designers and staff to effectively manage our interactive approach. (Build a dedicated team of people who are truly passionate about digital.)
- Imagine if we can… create a marketing approach based on customer expectation and personal engagement instead of just pushing the offer.
Build your plan on your vision – based on what’s best for your brand and its customers. It’s those imagined possibilities that can shape amazing digital experiences. Start small, get some quick wins, then enjoy the momentum.